Thursday, May 01, 2008

Trying out the new Windows Live Writer

imageWindows Live has this new app out, one that'll help publish rich contents to blogs and this is my first try! Actually, I've never tried any of these things, always used the web versions. So here goes...

Not bad, says my first impression - it's lightweight, allows connecting to all sortsa sites, provides the essential editing functionality...whoa, including taking a screen shot and pasting right into the journal...not bad, not bad. There's quite a few image formatting options such as color pop and watermark - something that you don't get in most similar apps.

Spell checker is up to the mark, but I wish it had a dictionary and thesaurus - even if it just connected up to some web service.

Now it's time to actually preview and publish it - let's see if it as WYSIWYG and whether what I see is what I get...

...preview is pretty nice, except it's not showing the blog break, maybe because it's still unpublished...

...oh I need to label this...here goes...not bad, it pulled all the labels I had in the site. Oh HOLD ON...this is bad, really bad - it misspelled a few of my labels - missing just the last letter!!! For a second I thought I myself misspelled it. But no...it's not me - it's a BUG!!!

...moving on and publishing...

...and it's posted! NICE!!! Hey and what do you know...it got me writing a real blog after six l o n g months.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"this is bad, really bad - it misspelled a few of my labels - missing just the last letter!!! For a second I thought I myself misspelled it. But no...it's not me - it's a BUG!!!"

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Not sure what you referring too, but I would be very interested in fixing any bug you might have stumbled upon.

Russoue said...

I just made my first post using Windows Live Writer. I was looking for something like this from long ago. I tried few tools but they could not do both my blogger and wordpress accounts properly.

Though using it was very easy, installation was a pain. At the beginning of the installation process, the installer offered me seven products to choose from. I only chose Windows Live Writer which is 5 MB only. But then it took an unbelievable 15 minutes to finish the installation! While installing, it showed me two messages. First one was with a warning icon, it told me that installation is taking longer than usual. The second one had an information icon and it asked me to do other things while it finishes the installation. However, I am still perplexed about what it did in those 15 minutes.

However, installation is a one time action and if someone can go through it patiently, I think he will really enjoy using the tool. Thanks for your post.

Zippy Zed said...

Hi Brandon Turner[MSFT]...

Thanks for your interest in fixing this. The issue is simple - some of my labels that were pulled down by WLW from this blogger site was incomplete. E.g. photography came back as "photograph", literature is "literatur", poetry as "poetr". Notice the missing alphabet in the end. At first I thought it was to do with the length of a word but some other labels such as achievement or social business are just fine.